Thursday, November 3, 2011

Were making progress

*Scroll down to read about Regan's update if you don't care about what I did on my birthday.

Yesterday was my birthday (31 years old) and Regan gave me the best present ever! My non-napper slept for 2 hrs. and 15 min. I was able to do some laundry,clean a little, shower and get ready, play with Ryder, then him and I ate lunch. It was so nice. I forgot how much you can get gone when your child actually naps. We headed off to the mall before Regan's Gastro appointment. The Nordrtrom sale started on my birthday...fate! Unfortunately I found nothing for myself :(  Then we headed to Sephora to use a gift card my uncle gave to me. Got a few things and then with my reward card they knew it was my birthday so at check out they started ringing a bell, all the workers were yelling happy birthday and I was totally embarrassed. The good part is they gave me a bottle of philosophy's vanilla birthday cake bubble bath and shower gel. Smells yummy. Danny and I had a nice dinner once the kids were in bed (6:00 heaven) and had some vino. Since I'm so old now, I was in bed by 9:30.

Enough about me, Regan's Gastro appointment went better than I hoped for. I was afraid I was going to go in there, this crazy mom, demanding immediate answers. Her Doctor (whom we love) understood my frustration completely. He is still convinced she has a true allergy to milk and possibly to soy and corn. He explained there is no way that if it was a stomach problem alone she would break out in a rash and have a constant runny nose when exposed to these foods. I totally agree but on paper she has no allergies. He also explained that allergy testing isn't full proof and is just a guide, nothing will be black and white when it comes to allergies. The problem he explained is they can't test babies until they are 9 months old. It will we inconclusive. We knew this, but what he also said is she is still so young her test may be coming up negative and she actually has an allergy. He said he has so many patients that have "no allergies" per the test but these kids actually have severe reactions to tons of foods. Anyway my biggest concern was the blood originally in her stool and the 10 days of diarrhea.

We both decided the best thing to do was lots and lots of tests to get some answers ASAP!  So he ordered blood work to check he eosinophil levels (which pertain to a few disorders) ans a full blood panel. Ordered stool samples to test for food borne illnesses, parasites and giardia. They are going to do an upper and lower endoscopy, where they will put her under anesthesia and use cameras down her throat and up her rectum to see and biopsy her insides. (I know this is necessary but I'm freaked to put her under) She will be in an outpatient surgery center for a few hours only. Then he switched her formula to the toddler version EleCare Jr. It's for toddlers to 13 years of age, higher calories and less quantity. They think she will be on it for a few years. Last were going to see a nutritionist to help me and her with the foods she can and cant eat. Since shes not testing positive for any allergies all of her food is done by trial and error. Confusing. So the next time we see her doctor, we will have results for everything. The benefit of the scoping is we will know is she has Crones, Gerd, a disorder or any issues going on inside. So that  is great news. She is also able to start eating food again, the things we know she okay with, and we need to reintroduce them slowly. She's going to be really excited this morning when she wakes up and sees food on her highchair! Thanks for all the love and support!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Happy belated birthday Dhelb! Hope you get results soon for your sweet girl!

Lorge Family said...

Happy Birthday Shelbie! I didn't find anything at the Nordstroms sale either:-( I am sorry about your baby girl. It seems never ending for you guys. I hope you get answers soon!

Genn said...

Hey Dhelb! :)
I'm glad you got such a long nap out of Reagan on your birthday! How nice.
And how embarrassing at Sephora, but also way cool about the philosophy product! I LOVE their stuff.

You poor little Reagan. I'm glad she was a trooper for her allergy tests. I hope you guys are able to figure some stuff out with that soon. Praying for answers for you. xoxo

Shelbie Molnar said...

Thanks ladies! I'm confident we will get answers, Regan deserves a break.

-Dhelb